A closer look at the chapel
As part of the 100th anniversary celebrations of the ancient Collegiate Church of St Salvator becoming the official University Chapel, the University will host a guided tour this weekend (Saturday 23rd October).
The Chapel, which was established by Bishop James Kennedy, the founder of St Salvator’s College, in 1450, has a rich and exciting history. The Protestant martyr Patrick Hamilton was burnt before the tower in 1528 and during the siege of St Andrews Castle, in 1547, the tower was used as a gun emplacement, with shots being fired across the town at the Castle.
Today, the Chapel is a welcoming centre of worship for the University community. The tour, to be given by Helen Rawson, is one of a series of events marking the 100th anniversary.
Those wishing to attend should meet in front of the Chapel tower on North Street, St Andrews, on Saturday 23 October at 12.30pm. The tour, which is free of charge, will last approximately 30 minutes.
For further information, please contact the University’s Museum Collections unit (01334 462417) or Chaplaincy (01334 462866).