Pupils from across Scotland have travelled to the University of St Andrews to test their spelling skills – in foreign languages.
The University hosted the final of its Spelling Bee in the School of Modern Languages last week (Friday 14 June). Youngsters, aged up to 16, have been competing since autumn last year (2012) to spell words in French, German and Spanish.
More than 100 pupils and their teachers attended the event from all over Scotland, as well as local schools in St Andrews and the surrounding area.
The Spelling Bee tested different age groups in French, German and Spanish, and there were cash prizes of up to £75 with each participant being issued with a certificate.
After the final, pupils also had the chance to attend taster sessions in Arabic, German, Italian, Persian, Russian and Spanish or to join an interactive tour of MUSA – the Museum of the University of St Andrews.
The event was created to promote language learning and presents one of the many outreach activities the School of Modern Languages undertake in collaboration with schools.
Annette Zimmermann, Language Development Officer in the School of Modern Languages at the University, said: “The competition is a great way to help young people improve their language skills and to make it fun.
“It also provides a chance for pupils from all over Scotland to visit the University and to encourage them to consider studying languages at St Andrews. We were very impressed at the enthusiasm and the spelling skills of the competitors.”
Note to Editors
The winners (pictured) were –
(first prize: £75; second: £ 40; third: £30)
French Under 13
- Stewart’s Melville College: Alex Radcliffe (first)
- High School of Glasgow: Joseph McGrath Williams (second)
- Menzieshill High School Dundee: Abby Lang (third)
French 14 – 16
- High School of Glasgow: Cammy Sriram (first)
- Dunfermline High School: Amy Sinclair (second)
- St Margaret’s School for Girls: Kelley Macpherson (third)
German Under 13
- Mary Erskine School: Freja Arnlund (first)
- Hutchesons Grammar School: Kate Lochrie (second)
- Dunfermline High School: Morgan Braid (third)
German 14 – 16
- High School of Glasgow: Ela Sefcikovia (first)
- Mary Erskine School: Catriona Benn (second)
- Menzieshill High School: Bradley Evans (third)
Spanish Under 13
- Hutchesons Grammar School: Keziah Abbotts (first)
- Loretto School: Kate Mackay (second)
- High School of Glasgow: Joseph Petrie (third)
Spanish 14 – 16
- High School of Glasgow: George Geddes (first)
- St Margaret’s School for Girls: Annie Mackley (second)
- Hutchesons Grammar School: Zain Hussain (third)
Issued by the Press Office
Contact [email protected] or tel 01334 462530.
Ref: Beeing Clever 170613
Follow St Andrews news on Twitter