Honorary degrees – June 2010
Figures from the worlds of science, journalism, sport and film will be awarded honorary degrees by the University of St Andrews this week (Tuesday 22 – Friday 25 June).
The former head of MI5, a gold medal-winning Olympic pentathlete and a respected former BBC war reporter and are among those to be honoured.
The University will also honour three of its own – Emeritus Professors John W Allen and Ian Campbell will both be awarded honorary degrees, while the University’s Honorary Catholic Chaplain, the Very Rev Dr Brian Halloran, Honorary Catholic Chaplain, will be awarded the University Medal.
The ceremonies will take place in Younger Hall, North Street, St Andrews.
Details are as follows –
Tuesday 22 June 10.30am
- Kathryn Adie, Author and Broadcaster – Hon LLD (Doctor of Laws)
Tuesday 22 June 2.30pm
- Professor Robert Darnton, Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professor and Director of the University Library, Harvard – Hon LLD (Doctor of Laws)
Wednesday 23 June 10.30am
- Professor Eleanor Dodson, Emeritus Professor, University of York – Hon DSc (Doctor of Science)
- Professor Sir Fraser Stoddart, Director of the Center of the Chemistry of Integrated Systems (CCIS) at Northwestern University – Hon DSc (Doctor of Science)
Wednesday 23 June 2.30pm
- Professor Kay Redfield Jamison, Professor of Psychiatry, The John Hopkins School of Medicine – Hon DLitt (Doctor of Letters)
- Mr Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Film Director, Writer, Editor and Producer – Hon DLitt (Doctor of Letters)
Thursday 24 June 10.30am
- Mr Douglas Allan, wildlife cameraman – Hon DSc (Doctor of Science)
- The Very Rev Dr Brian Halloran, Honorary Catholic Chaplain, University of St Andrews – University Medal
Thursday 24 June 2.30pm
- Dame Mary Peters, former Olympics athlete – Hon LLD (Doctor of Laws)
- The Baroness Manningham-Buller, former Director General of the Security Service – Hon LLD (Doctor of Laws)
Friday 25 June 10.30am
- Emeritus Professor John W Allen, Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of St Andrews – Hon DSc (Doctor of Science)
- Emeritus Professor Ian Campbell, Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of St Andrews – Hon MD (Doctor of Medicine)
Friday 25 June 2.30pm
- Dr Arvo Pärt, Composer – Hon DMus (Doctor of Music)
- Mrs Irene Khan, Former Secretary General, Amnesty International and Human Rights Defender – Hon LLD (Doctor of Laws)
Note to Editors
Photocalls will be held at 11.45am and 3.45pm approximately for morning and afternoon ceremondies respectively at St Salvator’s Quadrangle, North Street, St Andrews.
If you would like to attend any of the ceremonies, please contact the Press Office in advance – contacts below.
Issued by the Press Office
Contact Senior Communications Manager Gayle Cook on 01334 462529 / 07900 050 103, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ref: hons June 210610
View the latest University news at www.st-andrews.ac.uk.Awards