Next week’s honorary degrees
Figures from the world of commerce, science and literature are among those receiving honorary degrees from the University of St Andrews next week.
Six graduation ceremonies will take place on Wednesday 26, Thursday 27 and Friday 28 June 2002 in Younger Hall, North Street, St Andrews.
1. WEDNESDAY 26 JUNE – 10.30AM – Graduation Address by Dr Brian Lang, Principal and Vice-Chancellor
* Jackie Kay Poet and novelist – Doctor of Letters – Laureation by Dr Gill Plain, School of English.
* Professor John Sizer CBE Former joint chief executive, SHEFC – Doctor of Laws – Laureation by Ms Ann Kettle, Department of Medieval History.
2. WEDNESDAY 26 JUNE – 3PM – Graduation Address by Professor Malcolm Dunn, Vice-Principal (Research).
* Sir Tom Blundell FRS Professor of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge; Chairman, Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution – Doctor of Science- Laureation by Professor Garry Taylor, School of Chemistry.
* Professor Lord Winston Professor of Fertility Studies, Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine – Doctor of Science – Laureation by Professor Pat Willmer, School of Biology.
3. THURSDAY 27 JUNE – 10.30AM – Graduation Address by Dr Hania Allen, Vice-Principal (Information).
* The Rev Dr Finlay A J MacDonald Moderator Designate of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland – Doctor of Divinity – Laureation by Professor Ronald Piper, School of Divinity.
* Sir Crispin Tickell Chancellor of the University of Kent at Canterbury, former British Ambassador to the United Nations in New York – Doctor of Science – Laureation by Professor Philip Esler, School of Divinity.
4. THURSDAY 27 JUNE – 3PM – Graduation Address by Professor Verity Brown, Head of School of Psychology.
* Liz Lochhead Poet and playwright – Doctor of Letters – Laureation by Dr Philip Parry, School of English.
* The Rt Hon Lord Sutherland of Houndwood, Kt FBA FRSE Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh – Doctor of Laws – Laureation by Dr Brian Lang, Principal and Vice- Chancellor
5. FRIDAY 28 JUNE – 10.30AM – Graduation Address by Professor Paul Wilkinson, Professor of International Relations and Chairman of the University’s Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence
* Professor David F Hendry Professor of Economics and Fellow of Nuffield College, University of Oxford – Doctor of Laws – Laureation by Dr Manfredi La Manna, Department of Economics.
* Irvine Laidlaw Chairman of Business Services Companies – Doctor of Laws – Laureation by Professor Gavin Reid, Department of Economics.
6. FRIDAY 28 JUNE – 3PM – Graduation Address by Professor John Skorupski, Professor of Moral Philosophy and Head of School of Philosophical & Anthropological Studies.
* Sir Brian Follett Chairman, The Arts and Humanities Board – Doctor of Laws – Laureation by Professor Keith Brown, School of History.
* Professor Patricia Ann Jacobs OBE FRS Professor of Human Genetics, Southampton University, Former Director, Wessex Regional Genetics Laboratory – Doctor of Science – Laureation by Professor Michael Steel, School of Biology.
NOTE TO EDITORS
Photocalls will take place on St Salvator’s lawn, to the west of Younger Hall, North Street, St Andrews after each ceremony (which will last approximately 1.5 hours). Alternative arrangements will be in place in the event of poor weather – contact Gayle Cook on the day for more information (contact details below).
Press wishing to attend graduation ceremonies or access the Robing Room, should contact Gayle Cook (contact details below).
Strictly embargoed laureation addresses will be available from Gayle Cook (contact details below) next week.
Issued by Beattie Media on behalf of the University of St Andrews For more information please contact Gayle Cook on 01334 467227, 07900 050 103 or email [email protected] Ref: Hon Grad pic call 210602