The history of the town, University and people of St Andrews comes to life in two new and exciting exhibitions held concurrently from 16 March 2002 at the Crawford Arts Centre and St Andrews Museum.
Curated by the postgraduate Museum and Gallery Studies students from the University’s School of Art History, the exhibitions will display together, for the first time, over forty important paintings and artefacts from the University of St Andrews Museum Collections which have recently been conserved for future generations.
Helen Rawson, Acting Keeper of Museum Collections said, “These exciting exhibitions offer a wonderful opportunity to see some of the University’s most interesting and significant artefacts, many of which are displayed for the first time since conservation and provide a fascinating insight into the conservation process and of the challenging work of conservators.”
Saving Face: Conserving the Art Collections of the University of St Andrews at the Crawford Arts Centre.
Highlights include:  Sir Peter Lely’s seventeenth century painting of Archbishop Sharp, Chancellor of the University 1661-1679  A portrait of James Graham, 1st. Marquis of Montrose, student at the University 1627-1629  Sir George Reid’s portrait of Sir James Donaldson, Vice- Chancellor and Principal of the University 1886-1915  W. E. Lockhart’s nineteenth century painting of Cardinal Beaton besieged in St Andrews Castle  A rare Maritime Scene of about 1820
Can We Fix It? Conservation: the Whys and Wherefores at the St Andrews Museum.
Highlights include:  The caich balls found in St Salvator’s College chapel tower in the mid twentieth century for which the University Museum Collections staff won the prestigious Kintore Conservation Award.  Celestial and terrestrial globes  An early nineteenth century model Watt beam engine  James Gregory’s seventeenth century parchment telescope  A marble bust of Laura after Antonio Canova (1757-1822)  Ceremonial artefacts from Zambia  Scottish communion tokens
The exhibitions are also to be the catalyst and backdrop for a range of educational activities that will engage and inspire.
 ‘Have a go’ workshops will be run at the St Andrews Museum during the Easter holidays and are open to all. These include: 1.4.02: Storytelling for 5-7 year olds, 11am-12.30pm, and a family event from 1pm-2.30pm 2.4.02 and 4.4.02: ‘Up Close’ art workshop for 8-12 year olds, 11am- 12.30pm. Please phone either venue for further details and bookings.
 Workshops involving local schoolchildren, by prior arrangement, will take place from 25.3.02 – 29.3.02.
 Lectures on conservation: 20.3.02: Keith Morrison from the National Galleries of Scotland Conservation Unit will talk about frame conservation, Old Union Diner, Butts Wynd, 4.30pm 24.3.02:Helen Creasy and Lynn Grant, conservators from the Scottish Museums Council, will talk about their work on the collections, St Andrews Museum, 2pm 27.3.02: Freelance conservator Christine Bullick will talk about her work on the University’s art collections, Crawford Arts Centre, 5.30pm 18.4.02: Friends of the Crawford Arts Centre Annual Lecture. Conserving Botticelli – Michael Gallagher, Keeper of Conservation, National Galleries of Scotland, Crawford Arts Centre, 5.30pm, £3/2 (Friends/Concessions)
In addition there will be lunchtime talks, introducing the exhibitions, given by the curators at the Crawford Arts Centre (subject to availability).
For the latest information please contact the relevant location or the people listed below.
NOTES TO EDITORS
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION Simon Schofield Museum and Gallery Studies 01334 478850 Lu McNair Museum and Gallery Studies 01334 428712
TITLE: Saving Face: Conserving the Art Collections of the University of St Andrews
CONTENT: Recently conserved portraits and other paintings from the University of St Andrews Museum Collections VENUE: Crawford Arts Centre, North St., St Andrews Tel: 01334 474610 DATES: 15 March – 5 May 2002 OPENING HOURS: Monday – Saturday 10am – 5pm and Sunday 2 – 5pm. Admission free. Disabled access.
TITLE: Can We Fix It? Conservation: the Whys and Wherefores
CONTENT: Recently conserved objects and artefacts from the University of St Andrews Museum Collections VENUE: St Andrews Museum, Kinburn Park, Doubledykes Road, St Andrews Tel: 01334 412690 DATES: 16 March – 12 May 2002 OPENING HOURS: 10am – 4pm every day. Admission free. Disabled access. Café.
These exhibitions are curated by the postgraduate Museum and Gallery Studies students in the School of Art History, University of St Andrews, 19 College St., St Andrews, KY16 9ADStudent experience